Thursday, March 12, 2009

Dinner - Once a Month

I know dinner once a month doesn't sound like a lot, but I've finally figured out how it works for me. For years I have been trying to figure out the best way to help my kids learn to cook. They've helped me chop vegetables, cook meat, peel fruit, make sandwiches, cook eggs, and tons of other "little" things, but I wondered how they would ever learn to put a whole meal together. I've heard of people who have their kids make dinner once a week, but that wasn't going to work for me. I couldn't count on 2 days a week (I'm just worried about my older kids at this point) being home enough so they could have time to make dinner.

And so . . . last September we added a new job to their jobs - make dinner once a month! The kids check the calendar and figure out what day will work, and then they do it. We have had fabulous food - homemade chicken alfredo, tacos, hawaiian haystacks, potato soup, chicken noodle soup (homemade), homemade french bread sandwiches, and the list goes on. It's not too often so they are willing to do it. It has helped me a lot. On my days "off", I spend time with the little kids or work on my projects. My older kids have learned a lot about how much food they need to make, timing everything to come out together, and just what it takes to make dinner. My nine year old is making her own recipe container with recipes she has made. And my 11 year old is figuring out how many days you could potentially have between making dinners and still be on track (he says it potentially 61 if you have the right months and make dinner the first day of one month and the last day of the next month).

Banana Bread (we couldn't find the bread pan)




Chicken Alfredo with Vegetables


No comments: