Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Books

Books are a big deal. If you have a library of great books, it's so much better than having a library of mediocre (or less) books. I believe it's better to have fewer books, than a bunch of dumb ones. I go through my books periodically and weed out all the books that don't have any substance. I can tell what they are because I don't like them when I read them, never want to read them again, or never would recommend them to my kids or anyone else. It's fairly easy with picture books, but I decided to do it with my chapter books too. I started going through my shelves and if there were books that I couldn't remember, I read them. It was very enlightening. I got rid of "James and the Giant Peach" (and a lot of other books I've never missed) that way. I just didn't like it enough to have it in my house.

P.S. It's good to have a collection of great books at home, but don't overwelm yourself with books. Most books only need to be read once or twice, so you might as well check them out at the library! (You won't need to sort them, dust them, organize them, move them, etc.)

No comments: