Tuesday, April 14, 2009

One Room Done

I guess if I'm going to be a blogger, I've got to change the way I take pictures. I don't have any before pictures of what I'm going to talk about today, so you can't really see the change, but hopefully, you can imagine it.

Yesterday was our day to clean the boys bedroom. It was pretty much a disaster (see my previous blog). We started at nine in the morning. After an hour and a half, my 5-year-olds stuff was pretty much done, but my 11-years-olds was just scratching the surface. It was a beautiful day (this is a serious weakness I have), so I told all my younger kids they could be done and go play. My 11-year-old wanted to play too, but he could clearly see that his stuff was not done. So he offered me something I find very hard to resist - I could clean his room. I have mixed feelings about this, but I have been trying for years to limit knicknacks on the dresser, clear stuff off the bulletin board, throw out the little broken toys he never plays with (because he can't), and put stuff the way I want it. So I took the opportunity, and he went outside to play.

It took most of the day. I didn't put the last thing away until 10:00 last night, but I finished and now I love to go in that room. Here are some pictures:







We took out 4 bags of garbage, gave one bag to the DI, and found the lost library book. Here are a few things I noticed:
* Less is more. I love looking in those nearly empty drawers and uncluttered dresser. Having more and showing more does not make you "more". Being able to find and use what you do have is the real "more."
* My 9-year-old came in to help me. I let her go through the stuffed animals and of her own accord, she found a bunch that she wanted to send to the DI. I wouldn't have gone there with the stuffed animals, but I'm happy to be rid of them.
* Finishing is hard. I got the whole room clean except the pile of 25 things I didn't know what to do with. To get rid of that pile, I called my kids in and asked if there was anything they knew we didn't need. That got rid of one thing. Then I looked hard to see if there was anything I did know what to do with. I found 5 things I could put away. Then I decided on some things to throw away - 3 more things gone. Then I just left the pile for awhile. I wanted to finish so I could cross it off, but I didn't know how to get rid of the pile. Then I moved the whole pile to the kitchen counter so I could vacuum the room and have the room done. Finally, right before bed, I looked at the pile, made decisions and found a place for everything.
* I love having one place that is completely clean. It makes my whole house feel better.

1 comment:

Tammi said...

Wow! Charlotte, I remember being granted a peek at that room in its' 'before' state. It looks amazing! I share your feelings about less is more- in fact I would say that for me, less stuff is more peace. Thanks for the inspiration and fun read.