Monday, April 15, 2019

Flow

A few years ago, I chose the word flow as my word for the year.  I loved focusing on it and getting my house moving in a more flowing direction.  Stuff comes in, stuff goes out.  There is so much that is better with flow!  When things get stuck and stagnate, that's when you really start having problems in your house - you can't find things, there's no where to put things, there are stacks and piles.

Here are a few things that benefit from good flow in your house:

* Mail and papers.  Most of the mail and papers that come into your house can be sent right back out again.  You don't even have to let them come in.  You can stand at the recycling can when you get your mail.  But chances are, plenty will still make their way in.  But don't leave it in your house!  Create a good flow and don't let all that paper get stagnant.  At least once a week, I gather all the loose papers in my house and quickly sort them.  Most get sent out.  Here's my recycling pile this week:
I do this at least every week and that is still the size of my "out" pile.  Yours may be bigger or smaller.  But the more you move out, the more you don't have to deal with again.  

* Clothes.  You have clothes that don't fit, that are falling apart, that you won't choose.  Give them flow.  You let them come in and let them go out when they aren't fulfilling their purpose.  I went through my clothes about 2 months ago.  I filled a black garbage bag plus a few smaller ones with things to move out.  Move them out!

* Food.  The food in your house needs flow.  Food that sits is wasted food.  It rots, get stale, rancid or moldy.  Create flow in refrigerator, cupboards and counters.  I was so sad to find a box of healthy crackers on one of my shelves that expired in 2017.  I don't buy crackers much and I guess I never decided it was time to eat those.  By the time I tried them, I just had to throw them out.  That's flow, but a better flow would be to have eaten them.

* Toys.  Toys need flow - especially cheap toys that are fun for a few minutes and then are never played with again.  You can give these toys flow.  They fulfilled their 5 minute purpose - then let them move on and out.  If it helps, you can call them temporary toys.  Let them stay a day, a week, or even a month.  But once it's been long enough - move them out.  Give them flow.

No comments: